Saturday, January 16, 2010

General Heed was right, OpenAL "IS" a good idea.

It's been a while, but I was working on Cxbx today adding some stuff for XDK 3911 so hopefully I can get you all to stop begging me for DOA3 (me and our newest dev, defiance, are trying to fix the problem with it). In the mean time, I was adding the necessary things to get Halo to work properly. I noticed that there was no implementation of IDirectSoundStream::SetPitch. Assuming that changing the pitch of a DirectSound buffer would be standard in DirectSound, but I was wrong! It's not part of the DirectSound API at all o_O!

After taking a quick look around the net and remembering what General Heed said, it looks like there is some functionality that would be quite useful in OpenAL. I also found out that it supports DSP effects too, but appears to be specific to certain Creative Sound Blaster cards (which I do not have). So later on, I'll be looking into OpenAL as an alternative to DirectSound (unless XAudio proves to be a better choice, but I doubt it now). So thanks for the suggestion General Heed. Listening to the people is a good idea!

Shogun.

14 comments:

  1. um lol? care too explain a bit more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sorry. I forgot to post the rest of it. I ended up pressing enter in the wrong window and that's why there was no readable text in this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. opengl is beuthyfull hehe...dolphin is a great example..the games looks more awesone than pcsx2..is the true..
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. just a question not begging for a request, will kingdom under fire work within the developers current plans ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have that game, so you'll have to try it yourself next release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. which will hopefully be this month! :)
    More info can be found here http://emunewz.net/articles.php?article_id=3 where me and RDilus managed to interview him and we got some good info :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. its rare for me to get solid answers from forums/blogs ^>^ tyvm mr.blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please don't call be "blues", thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi blueshogun96, thanks for excelent job in CXBX. I would like surprises in terms of games in status compatible exemple in-game or playable for next released CXBX? Which would be?

    Sorry my english. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. indeed, OpanAL is very good. good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad I could help! Keep up the good work! =D

    ReplyDelete