Sunday, March 31, 2013

Virtua Cop 3 is starting to work.

Well, I spent my entire Saturday afternoon working on Cxbx for one request (now do you know how much I love you guys?) and finally got a result worth posting.

Okay, I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that it's finally confirmed that Cxbx is capable of emulating Sega Chihiro games.  Good thing, because it's a load off of my mind.  The mystery was killing me!  The bad news is that there are some parts of the JVS I/O board may have to be emulated in order for games to work.  Instead of emulating the JVS, I've been skipping and ignoring the port mapped I/O access functions as well as just creating stubs for the hijacked JVS functions.

This screen shot is proof.


Although I'm very pleased to have reached this far with Virtua Cop 3, I'll have to further research Chihiro's JVS hardware.  There's a chance that we may not have to emulate it though, since JayFoxRox's emu managed to get passed this.  It's probably a matter of satisfying a few conditions.

I'll put more work/thought into this later.  It's passed 1AM and I'm tired.  I'm just glad it's showing something for the time being.

Shogun.

7 comments:

  1. Good news you're on the right track it seems :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just a query really, do other chihiro games ask for the jvs io board aswell? I know running them off 128mb xbox that it doesnt seem to ask for a jvs io board, but Im not sure that would be classed as emulation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they do! If they didn't, then they'd be regular xbox games :)
      The error doesn't show up on a real Xbox (or at least a debug Xbox) is because the hardware responds to the JVS functions and PMIO code, reporting something back that I haven't interpreted.

      Delete
  3. Hello!!! Im really glad with your job, and Im lost with all this... my question is if are you working with a new version of cxbx and so where I can download it? thanks for all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe a totally stupid question/comment from me but i ask myself by reading this.Why not just contact JayFoxRox and ask him how he did it or he maybe even give you this part of his code to use instead of wasting hours to figure out yourself that could be better used than for other issues !?

    greetings from the netherlands and great job so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice comment,maybe he sees it as a challenge,but he didn't posted since,so maybe he quit :(

      Delete
  5. An enormous round of applause, continue the great work.
    code xbox live gold

    ReplyDelete